Course Duration: 1 hour 50 minutes (approx.)
Children aged between 3 and 7 are at the beginning of their journey through life with technology. It’s through these formative years that they learn to understand what they can access online, how they can access it and how it can benefit them, so it’s important for parents to take an active interest in their children’s safety online.
Our annual online safety training for parents and carers provides you with the knowledge and skills you need to feel confident and empowered to help keep children safe online.
Split into bite-sized modules, the training has been designed to provide maximum learning potential in the leanest, most cost-effective and most time-efficient manner. It has been produced in high-quality remote video CPD format which is accessible on any device, any time, anywhere.
Developed by Philippa Wraithmell, award-winning global digital transformation specialist and Apple Distinguished Educator, the course is split into five modules. The course consists of learning through video modules, completion of tasks, further reading and viewing external resources. Please consider this when planning and allocating your time. To successfully understand and achieve the objectives of the course, learners are expected to engage in all aspects of the learning process and complete all relevant activities to ensure they can successfully apply the knowledge and skills they have gained in their own setting.
- Understanding the online world today and striking a balance between promoting the positive use of the internet and safeguarding children from harm.
- Recognising how children at this age are interacting with the online world, the technology they’re using and what games and platforms are most popular.
- Identifying the common risks that children at this age are most vulnerable to and the range of online harms to be aware of.
- Understanding what steps to take to support a culture of online safety at home and help build children’s digital resilience.
- Recognising the importance of communicating with children at all times, keeping an open dialogue and providing children with the tools they need to keep themselves safe.
Module 1: Parenting in a digital world
Module 1 will explore what it can be like for a parent in the digital world and the difficulty in striking a balance between experiencing the positive and negative aspect of the internet.
Module 2: What are children accessing online?
Module 2 will look at how children at this age are most commonly interacting with the online world, what content they are consuming, what apps they might be using and the games they are playing.
Module 3: Common risks
In module 3 you will learn about the risks that children at this age are often most vulnerable to, how their relationship with technology might develop and how this can impact how they feel and behave.
Module 4: Safety steps
Module 4 will explore the various measures you can implement at home to help keep your child safe online and support them to experience the online world in a more secure environment.
Module 5: Reflection and impact goals
Module 5 will help you to consolidate your learning and reflect on the key points with some impact goals that you can take away and implement at home.